Pages

6.17.2016

Severe Abdominal Pain - The end of me?


It's been over a year since I last posted here. I guess because I don't feel anybody is really reading and there's this anxiety with not wanting my disease to define my life. But it seems that my bad health is taking over and I find myself desperate to share my stories in hope of finding others that can relate.

I thought that being sick with Rheumatoid Disease was the absolute worse illness I could be faced with -- my body attacking the fluid in my joints leading to deformities, chronic fatigue, deficiencies, and with a lower expected life-span. But then I developed mysterious abdominal pain that has left me beaten, bed ridden and at some points, suicidal.

In the last two weeks I have been admitted to hospital more times than I can count, had an ambulance ride and seen my local GP several times. Their answers are all the same - Everything's fine.

I'm disgusted that the only tests I've had performed for my 11 out of 10 scale of abdominal pain have only included a couple of blood tests and one chest x-ray looking for escaped gas.

I presented originally with lower right abdomen pain which led the doctors at the hospital to think it was either appendicitis or an ovarian cyst. Yet I was sent home, told to continue taking pain killers and see my GP. The pain began to escalate and was soon being felt in my upper abdomen, lower abdomen, right shoulder & arm and in my pelvic area. Pain so bad that we have had to abandon my car half an hour away from home because I couldn't drive it home, miss my daughter's 11th birthday, miss my husband's 30th birthday and not be able to eat for coming up to 7 days. From my own research, there are a few conditions which seem to match my experience with this to a T; Endometriosis, Chron's and Pancreatitis. But nobody will take me seriously.

Being an RA sufferer, treating this incredibly painful condition on very low dose pain relief, I will say  I have quite a high tolerance when it comes to handling any sort of pain. I gave birth twice with nothing but paracetamol to get me through. This abdominal pain, however, has been the most incredible, unbearable pain I could ever have imagined. And it's not going away. I've had no bowel movement for a week, my stomach has all sunken in and then yesterday I started the most painful period of my life, losing an unexpected amount of blood which has left me faint and with blurry vision.

It feels at this point like it will go on forever. How can the doctors not feel a CT scan at this point should be carried out? I have refused their pain relief offerings out of fear that they will think I'm drug seeking and I have cried endlessly. Tummy examinations have proved excruciating in certain areas of my torso but nothing has alarmed any of the doctors I've seen. Could so many medical professionals have all gotten this wrong? Or is it in my head, like I'm being led to believe? I don't have time to be sick. I have a business to run with a queue of unhappy clients wondering why I've not returned their emails. I have children with important things going on like birthdays, and sports and out of school clubs. I have a house move coming up in less than 2 months and I have my own dignity and peace to keep in tact. This is not the time to be sick with a mystery ailment that has completely floored me. My husband has missed nearly a week of work and faces losing his job. He's stayed by my side, helping to keep me comfortable. But what really needs doing at this point is a thorough investigation and this can't wait several months because I fear another week of this will be the end of me. You cannot go without food this long and survive! And the pain feels like it will drive me to do something stupid.

Living with Rheumatoid Disease is a walk in the park compared to the horror I'm facing with my stomach right now and I can't believe nothing is being done.

So as of right now, I am truly conquered by my ever-failing body. I give up! I'm waving the white flag! I hope that by the time I make my next post, I will have found an answer and this nightmare will all be over.



1 comment:

  1. Don't give up! I know it may seem like you’ll never find answers but just keep trying. The doctors are trying to help you but these issues can be very complex, and sometimes pinpointing the issue can take time. Have you voiced the concerns you have to your medical providers? They may be able to help you talk through this.

    ReplyDelete